Monday, February 27, 2012

On to the next thing...

Well, my time in peds is done. Yay! and I'm feeling pretty good about it. I think I may actually be able to do it as a job if I had to... probably not my first choice though. One final thing that I must say about peds is that on Friday I saw one of my patients leaving the hospital (he'd been there for quite a while and we were both counting the days until he could go home). and he gave this hand shake/signal to me that several patients had before, like a snapping motion except with two separate thumbs (two people's thumbs). I only have learned later that it goes with a saying "sharp, sharp" (pronounced shop, shop) that means I am ok, everything/ life is good. I was teased for not being able to infer what the signal meant, they said it was like two thumbs up communicating that everything was good! "where was I from that I didn't know that that is what that meant"!

Anyway, I think I did ok in peds, and no better way to celebrate than going to my first every rugby game with a few work friends! I learned a ton about basic rules of rugby and loved being at the game. Turns out rugby is super fun! I would say that America should get more into this rugby thing, but we would just rule it all up and it wouldn't be fun anymore! They even taught me how to throw a rugby ball after the game (it has to do with a down-by-your-side-two-handed-spin-pass thing)... The rest of the weekend was kind of low key/relaxing. We tried "Mama Shebeen's", authentic S.A. food, and a few of the local pubs with our nursing friends from Kansas. On Sunday we traveled to the market and grilled some ostrich, cooked vegis, chips (fries) and drank wine with the Kansas crew. In all a very nice, but not altogether sleepful weekend!


Today was my first day of neuro in Bara. I spent about an hour of the morning getting "oriented" to neuro wards, and then they sent me off to see my/Emily's leftover patients. Not too bad so far. It was all pretty much things I've seen before (except Guillain-Barre which is just like a spinal cord injury except it gets better). Everyone is VERY nice and helpful in the neuro section. although some maybe still slightly intense... I had a patient refuse me today and I had tried bargaining with her, telling her this is the only way she'll get out of the hospital, anything I could think of, I even tried just getting her set up and doing it anyway but she started flapping her arms and saying no. So I told one of the older PTs in the neuro section who reported to the MD and proceeded to just fling her up from the bed and into a chair even with the flailing and refusals. I was thinking 'ok so that's how you do it'; although I think I would have had to stop in the U.S. though, no is no there. On my last clinical in the States I learned that if the 80yo woman says 'get the F*** out of my room' you just turn around and leave! I am praying for a good experience in neuro these next two weeks and hopefully can learn a ton too..

No comments:

Post a Comment