Wednesday, February 15, 2012

So... Day 2 in Bara

Ok so I'm in a country that I'm not familiar with, with customs that I am not familiar with, and now I'm stuck in Peds for 2 weeks (Thank you Jesus, it's just 2 weeks) which I also don't feel very comfortable with... I kind of feel like I am double in over my head. Not to mention that my afternoon lead therapist is "The Intimidator". She (and quite a few therapists here) are very to the point, don't smile at me or give me much feedback at all. It could be my imagination but I think she gives me weird looks and I hope she's not thinking " what is that girl doing with that kid". I know that I take too long but she always just says yeah that works. I think peds treatments are kind of subjective, right? Like lots of things can strengthen, actively stretch, cause weight bearing, etc. during play right?? Well anyway I guess just say a prayer for me that my peds knowledge starts falling out of my head onto patients.

I was in the pediatric burns ward this morning. Very sad, very small, not as sterile as you would think. And of course everyone cries when you have to range them, so you leave feeling like the worst person but knowing you did it for their own good. The outpatient burns room was just a room. Moms and babies lined up all around the outside of the room and out into the waiting area. The nurses (sisters) would come by and undress the wounds, then the PTs would come spend 5ish minutes ranging, doing something functional if at all possible, and talking to the mom about how to keep/gain range at home, then each kid would see the MD and get a dressing put back on by the sister. It was complete caos: you would go child to child to an endless supply. I probably saw 5 patients in 40 minutes. Wow, but what else can you do with them...

Well back to work tomorrow.... Hope I can feel better about my situation/patients then.

2 comments:

  1. I'm praying for you schiffy !! I know you're doing your best !! keep up the hard work! message me your address when you can ! and I hope you have a magical birthday !! Love ya Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. dang, crazy girl. i don't know if i could handle burns... anyway, give yourself a few weeks to adjust to the new place, let alone the new CULTURE etc. it will get better!

    ReplyDelete